Wheel options and stuff

Discussions relating to MX5 Tyre choice, Wheels, Brakes Suspension components and other items to keep you going around corners, stuck to the ground or stopping on a dime.

Moderators: Growler, jif, Born_disturbed, punkoutnz

Ransom
Tentative sideways sliding....

Wheel options and stuff

Post by Ransom » Wed Aug 06, 2014 5:59 pm

Okay im starting to look at some better wheels for my NA mx5

Have the basics that its 4x100 and about 45 offset and its on 14 x 6 at the moment also that lightweight is a must have for these cars
Have looked at lots of stuff online at miataturbo and miata.net and at offset calculators and stuff

Reasons for going to 15s ? better tyre choices and the look of lower profile tyres ?other reasons??
15 x 7 fits stock NA mx5 without playing with guards ? what offset can i get away with ?
How offset before the handling gets affected in a bad way ?

I really want some oldschool looking rims none of the new designs do it for me except the replicas of old wheels
The current trend for wheel spokes sticking out past the rim flange makes me want to hurl ....
And i kinda think that 4 stud wheels need 4 or 8 spokes unless the wheelnuts are covered ..
Sick I know sorry

Really like the Hayashi streets someone showed pics of a while back or even the Rota Shakotan copies but 4x100 seem unobtainum
Also like the look of old cheviot tridents and hotwires but they all seem to be in 13" or in 4x114

These stud adaptor thingys ... do they require cert ?
I am planning on suspension upgrade soon but not lowered as i drive rough roads

Thoughts - links or old wheels lurking in your shed anywhere anyone ??

warrior
I only think 5.
I only think 5.

wheels

Post by warrior » Wed Aug 06, 2014 6:45 pm

Txt me i will send you a pic of some wheels i have. Ya never know 021796465 brett
warrior

siren676
I have stars, you haven't. Deal with it
I have stars, you haven't.  Deal with it

Post by siren676 » Wed Aug 06, 2014 7:24 pm

Yeah 15's do offer a bit better tyre choices than 14's.
Almost any offset +10 to +45 will fit comfortably with suitable tyres on a 15x7, since you say you wont be lowering it you shouldnt have any clearance issues.
Have to agree with you on the dislike of having spokes outside of the lip, they are just asking to get kerbed.

If you are after oldschool wheels i would recommend getting google chrome and learning how to navigate yahoo japan auctions, although you will be battling myself and furai over the 4x100 wheels :P

Also re: adapters, yeah they need a cert
1990 NA6C MX5

Ransom

Post by Ransom » Wed Aug 06, 2014 11:35 pm

OK on the cert thing .. im not going there I put a V8 hilux thru LVV and never again
So are height adjustable shocks require cert too ? i should go reread the pages of rules for cert
I have been looking at some basic KONIs on flying miata that have a clip to run the stock springs at 3 heights

And oh yes i have been looking at yahoojapan auctions

Junkwhale
I have stars and not afraid to use them

Post by Junkwhale » Thu Aug 07, 2014 12:16 am

Yup, anything with height adjustable spring perches (that didn't come with them from the factory) will need a cert.

Technically that includes the konis with the circlips at different heights, but I think plenty of people get away with them without a cert. I guess you could also choose the height you want then weld/fill the grooves for the other two heights then they wouldn't be adjustable...

marcellarius
I count 5-s in my sleep
I count 5-s in my sleep

Post by marcellarius » Thu Aug 07, 2014 8:50 am

Junkwhale wrote: I guess you could also choose the height you want then weld/fill the grooves for the other two heights then they wouldn't be adjustable...
But then they'd require a cert because they had been welded.

Junkwhale

Post by Junkwhale » Thu Aug 07, 2014 1:45 pm

marcellarius wrote:
Junkwhale wrote: I guess you could also choose the height you want then weld/fill the grooves for the other two heights then they wouldn't be adjustable...
But then they'd require a cert because they had been welded.
Ah true, so it would. Filler & paint over maybe? :P

jif
Why yes, actually I do run this site.
Why yes, actually I do run this site.

Wheel options and stuff

Post by jif » Thu Aug 07, 2014 4:11 pm

lots of (slightly)accessible wheel prn in the yahoo jp auction site ... I was ogling some TE37s there (again!)  via nzhondas' moonlight racing forum just the other day.

I actually liked the feel of the factory BBS (forged) wheels best, even over 15x7 TE37s. Playful vs planted.  YMMV...

On 6 August 2014 17:59, Ransom <cornering@mx5forum.co.nz (cornering@mx5forum.co.nz)> wrote:
Okay im starting to look at some better wheels for my NA mx5

Have the basics that its 4x100 and about 45 offset and its on 14 x 6 at the moment also that lightweight is a must have for these cars
Have looked at lots of stuff online at miataturbo and miata.net and at offset calculators and stuff

Reasons for going to 15s ? better tyre choices and the look of lower profile tyres ?other reasons??
15 x 7 fits stock NA mx5 without playing with guards ? what offset can i get away with ?
How offset before the handling gets affected in a bad way ?

I really want some oldschool looking rims none of the new designs do it for me except the replicas of old wheels
The current trend for wheel spokes sticking out past the rim flange makes me want to hurl ....
And i kinda think that 4 stud wheels need 4 or 8 spokes unless the wheelnuts are covered ..
Sick I know sorry

Really like the Hayashi streets someone showed pics of a while back or even the Rota Shakotan copies but 4x100 seem unobtainum
Also like the look of old cheviot tridents and hotwires but they all seem to be in 13" or in 4x114

These stud adaptor thingys ... do they require cert ?
I am planning on suspension upgrade soon but not lowered as i drive rough roads

Thoughts - links or old wheels lurking in your shed anywhere anyone ??

[Posted via external email]

Joel
See my 5 and raise you.
See my 5 and raise you.

Re: Wheel options and stuff

Post by Joel » Thu Aug 07, 2014 5:58 pm

To avoid guard work anything over +15 on a 7 inch wide wheel would be safe. If you are at stock height/suspension you may end up rubbing under hard cornering if your setup isn't stiff enough. As Siren said tyre choice will be key

I run adapters and 14s and I'm very happy with them, the oldschool wheel choices are abundant and more importantly low cost from Japan, but you have to keep in mind that you'll definitely have to roll your guards at least to have anything decent fitted atop of them since you're effectively making cars track wide, especially if you're in the market for Streets, Hotwires or Tridents since they tend to be pretty low offset even on the narrower options.

warrior
I only think 5.
I only think 5.

Post by warrior » Thu Aug 07, 2014 6:34 pm

I have a guard roller and can easily do them for a very fair price :D
warrior

Ransom

Post by Ransom » Thu Aug 07, 2014 6:59 pm

Yup looking at all the options -- spacers or adaptors and cert is not an option
yes i am looking at better shocks/ springs but again nothing that needs cert as i will soon be living in a place far far away from any cert testing facilities and my car is a daily driver until its warmer and i can use the bike again

So 15 X 8 seems very common and i have found a few options in 4x100 15x 8 and 20p offset in styles that i like for ok prices new here in nz
-- is this beyond just bolt on at that width and offset if i stick to reasonable size tyres

siren676

Post by siren676 » Thu Aug 07, 2014 7:05 pm

Yeah 15x8's are being made by every man and their dog as every stance kid wants them.
+20 offset might be a bit too much if you are going to be running sensible tyres e.g 205 to 225's. (i was running 15x8 +25 with 205/50's and needed the guard lips rolled)
1990 NA6C MX5

Ransom

Post by Ransom » Thu Aug 07, 2014 7:38 pm

Ah damn i was liking the look of these but they only seem to be in 20p offset

http://www.trademe.co.nz/motors/car-par ... 872353.htm

Lenso good bad or ugly ? too heavy?

Yes i have heard about this 15 x 8 being like the sheep trail and 15x 7 is sounding easier to keep clearances

Stance wtf is this stance you speak of ... never heard it before i joined this site .. gawd im old .....

What i am after is more good tyre choices improved handling and not buttugly looks or heavier wheels and without spending half what the car is worth

On ugly 14x6 at the moment but in no hurry i can always paint them matt black til i find the right wheels at the right price

Thanks for your input team its always good to hear from people who have been there done that

siren676

Post by siren676 » Thu Aug 07, 2014 8:48 pm

Those wheels look kinda interesting, no idea what they'd weigh though.
To give you an idea how they'd fit, this was my car with the setup i mentioned above, so the lenso's would sit 5mm further out.

stance is essentially where you lower a car a tonne and have the wheels flush with or slightly outside the guards, basically done for looks with no consideration for handling.

Isn't anything wrong with 14x6's :lol: I just bought in some from Japan
1990 NA6C MX5

Ransom

Post by Ransom » Thu Aug 07, 2014 11:30 pm

How much was shipping from japan ? through moonlight or private?
If i find some nice 14x6 or 6.5 or 7 in good offset im in
Roads are bad enough down here that i dont want to lower much or go to low profile tyres
A little lower and a little fatter filling the guard would be nice without making an ill handling pig
I do have the matt black thing going on so thats why those lenso wheels appealed
but paint is cheap and wrong offset is wrong offset

siren676

Post by siren676 » Fri Aug 08, 2014 1:30 pm

Yeah got mine through moonlight, my 14's cost $130 to buy and about $270 for shipping/commission. My 15's that I just bought were $330 and cost $350 for shipping/commission.
1990 NA6C MX5

BRM
I count 5-s in my sleep
I count 5-s in my sleep

Post by BRM » Fri Aug 08, 2014 6:38 pm

Them lensos look cool.

+20 would need a roll?

I think we sell them now

Ransom

Post by Ransom » Fri Aug 08, 2014 11:12 pm

BRM wrote:Them lensos look cool.

+20 would need a roll?

I think we sell them now
You sell them at the same price?
Any other options available ? like 15x7 or different offset?

SKREEE

Post by SKREEE » Fri Aug 08, 2014 11:33 pm

Ransom wrote:
BRM wrote:Them lensos look cool.

+20 would need a roll?

I think we sell them now
You sell them at the same price?
Any other options available ? like 15x7 or different offset?
BRM if you do sell them any chance of chucking them on some scales? Called and emailed M&T and heard nothing. Been thinking about picking them up due to size I want and don't look horrible and are a reasonable price. But like most wheels I have hunted for then end up weighing in like a pod of whales.

Oh and to answer your question Ransom

They do come in other sizes but none that will fit under stock guards any easier.
After launching the latest wheel in LENSO’s Project-D range – the Spec-J (PDJ) - LENSO have introduced a new colour and finish as seen due to high demand.

The PDJ is now available in the following size:

15×8, 15×9, 17×8, 17×9

Colours:

Black / White / Silver / Hyper Black

The “mirror lip” will only be manufactured in 15″, with expectation of it being introduced in the near future.
However with those sizes no offset was mentioned so my guess is all 20p.

Ransom

Post by Ransom » Sat Aug 09, 2014 1:23 am

Yes a weight on the Lenso PDJ wheel would be great if anyone has/can get that info..

BRM
I count 5-s in my sleep
I count 5-s in my sleep

Post by BRM » Sat Aug 09, 2014 9:42 am

6.5 kg

Ransom

Post by Ransom » Sun Aug 10, 2014 5:33 pm

Just checked the wheels i have on and they are 14x6 38p offset made in japan and stamped 5.5 kg
looking better now i may paint them til a bargain pops up

SKREEE

Post by SKREEE » Mon Sep 08, 2014 4:56 pm

Well I just hit up M&T to check my credit rating and will hear back tomorrow on if I will be able to get the Lenso wheels mentioned earlier.

Will have to report back on if/what they do look like on a Roadster. IF I do they are going to be running 205/50/15s so flare might also be in my future(I kinda hope so,I want ti run some spare AE85 flares if they will do what I need) .

Yay hopefully time to retire the 3 bbs and one odd wheel cheers local roads :?

SKREEE

Post by SKREEE » Wed Sep 17, 2014 5:39 pm

As I said I would post back with photo's of the PDJ's on a stock height Roadster and I am here to stick to that.

So this is the effect of 15x8 +20 wheels with 205 50 15 on stock height. I will not be able to run the flares due to finding out they are 90mm wide and thus way too big. I will most likely run some 40-50mm wide flares once I lower her a bit(after hacking metal off the guards.).

Oh and M&T rolled the back guards for free and painted my calipers black too. Top blokes and lasses there.

Return to “MX5 Suspension, Wheels, Tyres & Brakes etc”