sway bars

Discussions relating to MX5 Tyre choice, Wheels, Brakes Suspension components and other items to keep you going around corners, stuck to the ground or stopping on a dime.

Moderators: Growler, jif, Born_disturbed, punkoutnz

blackbird
Hey. They are NOT Training wheels.
Hey.  They are NOT Training wheels.

sway bars

Post by blackbird » Thu Oct 03, 2013 5:12 pm

Where in NZ can I get some reasonable aftermarket sway bars for a 92 mx5 at a decent price? Or Does anybody have some for sale?

Cheers, Thanks for any help

Ian
I count 5-s in my sleep
I count 5-s in my sleep

Post by Ian » Thu Oct 03, 2013 9:35 pm

May I suggest you tell us what you want them for..ie road use or track use? The solutions are different.
If you indicate where you live, that would determine the ultimate cost on any second hand parts, as they are not the cheapest to send. For the road, depending on the rest of your suspension, I might consider a Whiteline front bar and keep your standard (12mm?) existing bar but put it in urethane bushes...many aftermarket rear bars are too heavy leading to terminal oversteer, particularly noticeable on the track.
I have a 22mm front bar off an NB which I used (and is now for sale), but it requires suitable aftermarket end links.
93 1.8,intake/ex mods,Megasqirt PNP,torsen ,konis,GC coilovers,Nitto-01,cage,sparco seat,Schroth harness.

SkilletKid
I have stars and not afraid to use them
I have stars and not afraid to use them

Post by SkilletKid » Thu Oct 03, 2013 11:30 pm

Pretty much what Ian said. If you're not keen on the urethane bushings for the rear, using some molygrease on it will atleast help reduce the friction and binding caused by the rubber.

14mm (came stock on some NBs, mazdaspeed one I think) is probably the largest rear you would want to go if you don't want said oversteer that Ian mentioned.

How large is the whiteline front bar Ian? I'm running the 1.125" Racing Beat one (so around 28mm).
"Yes, you got that, 16 years of [MX5] ownership and you too can become the Obi-wan Kenobi of not giving a s**t." - Moti

marcellarius
I count 5-s in my sleep
I count 5-s in my sleep

Post by marcellarius » Fri Oct 04, 2013 1:20 am

Whiteline do 4 bars for the MX5, adjustable and non-adjustable. About $250-$350 each through Autolign if I recall correctly.
http://whiteline.com.au/do_segue4.php?m ... 89-12%2F97

Flyin Miata do a pair of adjustable bars that are ~22.2mm/15.8mm, $200 for the pair USD + shipping etc. I reckon it could possibly work out cheaper than the Whitelines.
http://www.flyinmiata.com/index.php?dep ... %201990-93

It's best to consider sway bars in combination with your springs, as both will affect the handling balance of the car.

If you want to get real nerdy about it, FCM provide a calculator with lots of numbers to play with:
http://www.fatcatmotorsports.com/FRC_1_ ... _1_6NA.htm

blackbird

Post by blackbird » Fri Oct 04, 2013 6:17 am

Thanks for all the advice, Its mainly for the odd weekend use and a bit of track. The car is in mangere bridge auckland.

The flying miata bars come to $360usd shipped, godspeed which will oversteer are the same because shippings more.

Would the one you have for sale fit my na? Cheers

blackbird

Post by blackbird » Fri Oct 04, 2013 6:20 am

How compatible are the nb sways if you use have adjustible end links?

PLSEME
See my 5 and raise you.
See my 5 and raise you.

Post by PLSEME » Fri Oct 04, 2013 9:17 am

Im running the Whiteline adjustable bars front & rear, got them off Shock absorber services in Manukau, but that was years ago so cant remember what i paid.

Also running KYB struts with King springs ... Oh & standard links
Find the car pretty neutral.
Scientists now foresee the future will be much more futuristic than they first forswore

Return to “MX5 Suspension, Wheels, Tyres & Brakes etc”