Odd handbrake problem

Discussions relating to MX5 Tyre choice, Wheels, Brakes Suspension components and other items to keep you going around corners, stuck to the ground or stopping on a dime.

Moderators: Growler, jif, Born_disturbed, punkoutnz

Snapfrozen
I am quitting my job and going 5-ing

Odd handbrake problem

Post by Snapfrozen » Thu Aug 29, 2013 6:08 pm

Haven't had a good look just wondering if someone can give me a direction where to start.

When I pull my hand brake when I park, occasionally it sounds like the locking ratchet mechanism isn't locking and then it springs back down. Only does it sometimes... Is the gear that the lever sits on worn too badly?

marcellarius
I count 5-s in my sleep
I count 5-s in my sleep

Post by marcellarius » Thu Aug 29, 2013 6:22 pm

I'd say it's more likely that the pawl or release mechanism is jamming. A clean and a squirt of grease might fix it.

Snapfrozen

Post by Snapfrozen » Thu Aug 29, 2013 6:47 pm

Is it in the manual? Nothing I can ruin by dismantling, cleaning and reassemlbing?

marcellarius
I count 5-s in my sleep
I count 5-s in my sleep

Post by marcellarius » Thu Aug 29, 2013 7:01 pm

Getting the covers off isn't too hard, the mechanism is pretty simple. I tried to take a photo but my phone wasn't going to cooperate...

There is a semi-circular notched 'gear' which the level slides over, there is a sprung pawl that gets released when you press the button. I'd inspect and clean it in place, before resorting to serious disassembly.

Return to “MX5 Suspension, Wheels, Tyres & Brakes etc”