See regular track use? - Repacking Front Hubs/Wheel Bearings

Discussions relating to MX5 Tyre choice, Wheels, Brakes Suspension components and other items to keep you going around corners, stuck to the ground or stopping on a dime.

Moderators: Growler, jif, Born_disturbed, punkoutnz

SkilletKid
I have stars and not afraid to use them

See regular track use? - Repacking Front Hubs/Wheel Bearings

Post by SkilletKid » Mon Aug 26, 2013 7:43 pm

More for the guys who regularly track their cars, but I've been looking for this document for ages now and alot of the original links on the other miata/mx5/roadster forums are dead.

Courtesy of WalterMotorsports
(document found through mazdaroadster.net as the only source on the internet without a dead link)
Attachments
Repacking.Hubs_.doc
(1.06 MiB) Downloaded 540 times
"Yes, you got that, 16 years of [MX5] ownership and you too can become the Obi-wan Kenobi of not giving a s**t." - Moti

SkilletKid

Post by SkilletKid » Mon Aug 26, 2013 11:06 pm

MadKiwi might already know this one; but most of the track guys in the US have moved from Redline CV2 as stated in the document to Amsoil 2000 grease.

This was the only website I could find that has it in NZ for those interested:

http://www.syntheticoil.co.nz/price-lis ... ing-grease

If anyone knows of equal/cheaper greases that would work then don't hesitate to say so we can have a list for those who don't want to shell out for the amsoil stuff.
"Yes, you got that, 16 years of [MX5] ownership and you too can become the Obi-wan Kenobi of not giving a s**t." - Moti

brownie
I count 5-s in my sleep
I count 5-s in my sleep

Post by brownie » Mon Aug 26, 2013 11:26 pm

Amsoil agent in New Zealand is Wayne Hill cars ,here in CH CH.
Really nice guy,always happy to look after race car guys,just tell him,Mark from Mazline sent you

SkilletKid

Post by SkilletKid » Tue Aug 27, 2013 12:00 am

brownie wrote:Amsoil agent in New Zealand is Wayne Hill cars ,here in CH CH.
Really nice guy,always happy to look after race car guys,just tell him,Mark from Mazline sent you
Cheers for that brownie! I'll be giving them a ring when I get around to ordering some new front hubs.

Brainflex
See my 5 and raise you.
See my 5 and raise you.

Post by Brainflex » Tue Aug 27, 2013 5:57 pm

Be aware that too much grease in the bearing can cause extra drag which leads to overheating and then premature bearing failure.

Mad Kiwi
I count 5-s in my sleep
I count 5-s in my sleep

Post by Mad Kiwi » Mon Sep 02, 2013 4:34 pm

Right, so how much is too much?

Skilletkid, I need to do that too. I want a spare hub and rear bearing set/hub in the parts bin and the grease will be required when I do a pro active maintenance hub change....sometime in the future (hopefully near future).

Post up the price of the grease if you call him, for us?

SkilletKid

Post by SkilletKid » Tue Sep 03, 2013 12:41 am

Mad Kiwi wrote: Skilletkid, I need to do that too. I want a spare hub and rear bearing set/hub in the parts bin and the grease will be required when I do a pro active maintenance hub change....sometime in the future (hopefully near future).

Post up the price of the grease if you call him, for us?
Haha we're on the same wavelength I think =P Slowly building mine up for 12 Hours of Hampton but I've got ways to go yet (no where near how prepped yours is =P)

Yeap, will post prices etc here when I get around to calling them.

If you ever feel like having some crew and/or cheerleaders at one of your ACJS races at Hampton or Puke I'd be keen to help Image

SkilletKid

Post by SkilletKid » Thu Oct 10, 2013 1:11 pm

Just rang Wayne for the grease. One tube comes out to $32.75.
I'll edit this post when he gets back to me about a group buy price if anyone is interested.

Return to “MX5 Suspension, Wheels, Tyres & Brakes etc”