Mr grey's rimjob

Discussions relating to MX5 Tyre choice, Wheels, Brakes Suspension components and other items to keep you going around corners, stuck to the ground or stopping on a dime.

Moderators: Growler, jif, Born_disturbed, punkoutnz

MrGrey
I have stars, you haven't. Deal with it
I have stars, you haven't.  Deal with it

Post by MrGrey » Mon Oct 07, 2013 4:42 pm

Another day, another rimjob :wink:

This is a WIP of the 15's I am currently working on.....
The rim in the bottom right has minor kurbing, but it is nothing compared to the cheese grater effect I had on my original rims. (I will be able to tidy that up with a minor bit of light filing)

Two of them appear to have had the chrome come off about 1/2 of the rim and I am not sure exactly the best approach to get them looking better again. Here is one of the worst examples of the chrome crappiness....

MrGrey

Post by MrGrey » Mon Oct 07, 2013 9:36 pm

I was trying to envision what colour scheme to go with and my PS skills are non-existant, so thank you very much Siren676 for your photoshop wizardry :)

I basically am down to 2 options that I think could suit, but am having trouble making my mind up as both would look pretty good. I will think long and hard about it, but I would be interested in your opinions as well :wink:

Image Image

I had also wondered what straight black would look like, but I think the multi coloured options look better...
Image Image

Furai

Post by Furai » Mon Oct 07, 2013 10:25 pm

Top left ;)

BRM
I count 5-s in my sleep
I count 5-s in my sleep

Post by BRM » Mon Oct 07, 2013 10:43 pm

Top left with black rim silver spokes?

MrGrey

Post by MrGrey » Sat Nov 23, 2013 12:08 pm

I finished painting the rims a while ago and they have been waiting until I got some tires for them. Next week I will have some 205/55r15's arriving (I went for 55's because some of the roads up here are crap and I prefer the extra flex in the tire when hitting potholes to reduce the chance of rim damage)

I have always liked the look of wheel arch flares but most of the ones I see protrude too much for my liking or are to expensive (I realize that quality costs $ ). In my random browsing I saw this from club roadster where someone had DIY'ed some flares from a mk2 golf onto a roadster.

for a gamble of $70 I have ordered some flares for a mk3 golf and I will have a play around altering them to fit. Even if it all goes to custard at least I won't be too out of pocket :p These appear to be made of either moulded plastic or polyurethane and therefore should be more malleable than aftermarket fibreglass ones (which tend to have fitment issues).

With a bit of trimming and a bit of filling they should work out ok.

GRUVBB
I am quitting my job and going 5-ing
I am quitting my job and going 5-ing

Post by GRUVBB » Sat Nov 23, 2013 1:26 pm

They look like a good fit on the guards. Hope they don take much mods to attain the same result. Where did you source the flares from? :?:

MrGrey

Post by MrGrey » Sat Nov 23, 2013 6:26 pm

its a set from a mk3 golf sent over via Ebay, its cheap enough so that if it all goes pear shaped then I won't be too out of pocket.
They will require some cutting and filling but as a 'steady as she goes' project, it should be quite fun.

I did get am email from the US vendor, and either its a copy paste jobbie or his geography skills are a little off
Many thanks for your order! Our friendly team will be most happy to assist You during the whole transaction! Your item is currently located in Latvia - somewhere between Alaska and Australia:) In spite of that we are ready to do all our best so that your order reaches You safe and sound as soon as possible!

Angreal

Post by Angreal » Sat Nov 23, 2013 6:40 pm

Well he is true if you fly to Alaska via Europe (the long way round) :roll:

dylann
Need, more, 5-ing, time....
Need, more, 5-ing, time....

Post by dylann » Sat Nov 23, 2013 7:57 pm

Might need some wider wheels ;)

MrGrey

Post by MrGrey » Sat Nov 23, 2013 8:23 pm

nah, I should be ok, these flares are bugger all... nothing like the 50-75mm aftermarket ones.... I am expecting it to be closer to 'puffed trim' as opposed to actual flares.

Return to “MX5 Suspension, Wheels, Tyres & Brakes etc”