Setting up adjustable suspension

Discussions relating to MX5 Tyre choice, Wheels, Brakes Suspension components and other items to keep you going around corners, stuck to the ground or stopping on a dime.

Moderators: Growler, jif, Born_disturbed, punkoutnz

warrior
I only think 5.
I only think 5.

Setting up adjustable suspension

Post by warrior » Wed Feb 13, 2013 4:22 pm

I am just about ready to install my Ohilns in my car and was wondering if there are any tricks to setting them up. I have no problem installing them, what I mean is when it comes to adjusting there height do I do front first? One side? etc Any help would be great.
warrior

chris
I have stars, you haven't. Deal with it
I have stars, you haven't.  Deal with it

Post by chris » Wed Feb 13, 2013 4:24 pm

I havent found any "tricks" to it, just measure the collar height, and write that down, do the same on the other side. Then check hub- Fender heights
1 X Primera
2 X Silvia
1 X BMW E30
1 X Audi A6
3 X Mazda MX5 (1989, 1990, 1991)

Furai
I have stars, you haven't. Deal with it
I have stars, you haven't.  Deal with it

Post by Furai » Wed Feb 13, 2013 6:08 pm

I would have them all set on a standard, then measure hub to fender.

Then I would make any adjustments to make it even and then start figuring out your height from there. Roughly 3mm Increase shock length I have found to be 5mm increase ride height.

Are they brand new or second hand? If second hand they will probably be pretty close(Put the ones adjusted slightly longer on the drivers side) and if they are new they will have to settle anyway and will change.

Snapfrozen
I am quitting my job and going 5-ing

Post by Snapfrozen » Wed Feb 13, 2013 6:24 pm

Make sure if you need to, to preload them. Google how to preload springs if need be, other than that. Don't do up the bottom bolts completely without the car sitting on the ground. If you do, the bushes may tear or have pressure on them in the wrong direction ;)

You can measure them against your factory ones while theyre out of the car and guess where they need to be, but you can adjust them on the car with no load on them

malcster
Need, more, 5-ing, time....

Post by malcster » Wed Feb 13, 2013 8:26 pm

Have youre shocks got the fixed bottom ring with the threaded lower leg/body?
as these you need to make springs just captive all around and then adjust ride height with the lower leg/body adjuster.
1998 NB MX5 RS TURBO.

Snapfrozen

Post by Snapfrozen » Wed Feb 13, 2013 8:36 pm

malcster wrote:Have youre shocks got the fixed bottom ring with the threaded lower leg/body?
as these you need to make springs just captive all around and then adjust ride height with the lower leg/body adjuster.
Hence preloading :)

malcster

Post by malcster » Wed Feb 13, 2013 8:38 pm

Snapfrozen wrote:
malcster wrote:Have youre shocks got the fixed bottom ring with the threaded lower leg/body?
Hence preloading :)
yeah but dont adjust ride height by the spring if they have the lower leg adjustment is the key...according to mag and turbo.
1998 NB MX5 RS TURBO.

warrior
I only think 5.
I only think 5.

Post by warrior » Wed Feb 13, 2013 8:57 pm

They are an older set I bough from Keuth Jones, spring rate is 300 front and 200 rear, I am happy with the setup I have now but will try these and see how they are. If I dont like them I will put them up for sale. Thanks for all the advice guys
warrior

Return to “MX5 Suspension, Wheels, Tyres & Brakes etc”