LSD for NA

Discussions relating to MX5 Tyre choice, Wheels, Brakes Suspension components and other items to keep you going around corners, stuck to the ground or stopping on a dime.

Moderators: Growler, jif, Born_disturbed, punkoutnz

halberd
Need, more, 5-ing, time....

Post by halberd » Sat Aug 04, 2012 9:11 pm

I used to have one of those, though it was called an AZ-3. It was an excellent car, one of the most fun cars I've had (still nowhere near as fun as my Roadster though)

As for diffs, here's my opinion on the VLSD;
I had an open diff and got my hands on a viscous one for free. Installed it (not too hard except for the bloody PPF bolts) and I noticed a MASSIVE difference in handling. Driving around tight corners in the suburbs I can feel it sort of 'drive' through the corner easier. Also, whenever it's wet I'm doing burnouts all the time, and it is MUCH easier to control while sliding. When I dump the clutch in the dry the car actually gets grip too, it doesn't just spin one wheel

I was honestly not expecting it to be so good, I was under the impression that they were terrible. I still have to see how long it lasts though, I've heard they wear pretty easily (especially the way I abuse mine)
'91 Eunos Roadster

authentic
I have stars and not afraid to use them
I have stars and not afraid to use them

Post by authentic » Sat Aug 04, 2012 10:13 pm

At a full lock turn U-turn or there abouts, I can hear and feel my inner wheel skidding/crunching depending on the road surface in my NA6, which I was surprised about.

On hot days it rips up stones from the tar seal. For such a little car, it makes an impact on the nice new seals of new housing estates :lol:

12a MX5
Tentative sideways sliding....
Tentative sideways sliding....

Post by 12a MX5 » Thu Aug 09, 2012 8:37 pm

A little off topic but I recently installed a lockrite diff locker into my suzuki escudo, foot down into corner and is just grips on the road . Would a postitive auto locker suit a full time road/track car? If it was available for a MX that is.
Rotor Powered NA6

malcster

Post by malcster » Tue Aug 14, 2012 12:02 pm

I have my Cusco diff for sale or swap..see classifieds.
Thanks.

WideOpenThrottle
I have stars, you haven't. Deal with it
I have stars, you haven't.  Deal with it

Post by WideOpenThrottle » Tue Aug 14, 2012 12:27 pm

authentic wrote:At a full lock turn U-turn or there abouts, I can hear and feel my inner wheel skidding/crunching depending on the road surface in my NA6, which I was surprised about.

On hot days it rips up stones from the tar seal. For such a little car, it makes an impact on the nice new seals of new housing estates :lol:
Inner wheel?....does it happen to be both front or just passenger side?
1989 NA 1650
1998 NB 1800
2005 NC 2000
1990 Landcruiser
Surfboard
Push-bike
Hiking shoes

Return to “MX5 Suspension, Wheels, Tyres & Brakes etc”