New Tyres for fast road

Discussions relating to MX5 Tyre choice, Wheels, Brakes Suspension components and other items to keep you going around corners, stuck to the ground or stopping on a dime.

Moderators: Growler, jif, Born_disturbed, punkoutnz

Rigley
Hey. They are NOT Training wheels.
Hey.  They are NOT Training wheels.

New Tyres for fast road

Post by Rigley » Thu May 24, 2018 3:47 pm

Hi All,

I know this subject has been talked about many times before, though I was wondering if any new tyres have come on the market that are worth a try? I am looking for some sweet spot tyres for my VR Ltd NA with standard Bilstein suspension, the car is mainly used for weekends, so I do around 5k km's a year, the car has 15x6.5" standard Enkei wheels. I was thinking about some 195x50x15" semi slicks, as grip is important and ultimate mileage seems less to me, as the tyres will have gone off with age before the tread gets to low, with the mileage I do.

Also I will be getting an aligment done, is it worth sticking with factory standard settings, or is there something to be gained using different settings, without sacrificing tyre wear?

Your thoughts and comments are appreciated.

Thanks Gary

Rigley

Re: New Tyres for fast road

Post by Rigley » Mon May 28, 2018 2:01 pm

Has everyone gone into hibernation? Any comments would be appreciated.

Thanks

Keith Jones
I count 5-s in my sleep
I count 5-s in my sleep

Post by Keith Jones » Fri Jun 01, 2018 2:59 pm

Hi Gary.
I would not recommend semi-slicks for road use. They tend to be very noisy (ask my wife when I put my Toyo R888s on her MX5 when I was getting new tyres for her) and they follow every ridge in the road, making steering a real chore. Bridgestone RE003s are very good on the MX5. They are quite soft/sticky and have good wet weather performance. If you are only going to be using the car on the road, there's nothing to be gained from changing the wheel alignment.

Slygoat

Post by Slygoat » Mon Dec 16, 2019 6:00 pm

:D hey Keith! I'm looking at getting some new rims for my na6. What are you running on yours? I'm keen on the 're003s'

Keith Jones wrote:
Fri Jun 01, 2018 2:59 pm
Hi Gary.
I would not recommend semi-slicks for road use. They tend to be very noisy (ask my wife when I put my Toyo R888s on her MX5 when I was getting new tyres for her) and they follow every ridge in the road, making steering a real chore. Bridgestone RE003s are very good on the MX5. They are quite soft/sticky and have good wet weather performance. If you are only going to be using the car on the road, there's nothing to be gained from changing the wheel alignment.

Keith Jones
I count 5-s in my sleep
I count 5-s in my sleep

Post by Keith Jones » Tue Dec 17, 2019 3:54 pm

Assuming you still have 14" rims on your car, going to 15" gives you a lot greater choice of tyres without compromising the handling (NAs don't like heavy rim/tyre combinations). A 15x7 rim with around 35mm offset improves the handling and look, and can take a 195/55 tyre without affecting your speedo calibration. This is what I had on my NB at the time I wrote the last post.

Return to “MX5 Suspension, Wheels, Tyres & Brakes etc”